The Secretary is the chief legislative officer of the Senate. In this role, she is responsible for administering and managing all legislative functions of the Senate, as well as overseeing numerous financial and administrative functions related to her operation. She leads a team comprised of approximately 80 Institutional employees in 8 cross-functional departments of the Senate, which serve all Senate Members and staff.
She directs the following functions, which are executed by her legislative operations team:
- amending bills in the Senate
- creating the daily session Bill and Executive Nominations Calendars
- creating the Supplemental Calendars
- keeping record of all Senate action on bills and resolutions
- maintaining committee reports
- managing, updating and publishing the Senate History
- numbering, introducing and transmitting to committee all Senate bills and resolutions
- posting of roll call votes
- posting of Senate Journals
- transmitting all Senate messages/communications, bills and resolutions to the House of Representatives
- sunshining committee meetings.
Additionally, the Secretary certifies as to the passage of Senate Bills and the approval of Executive Nominations.
Importantly, in addition to her legislative operations team, the Secretary has the following Senate Departments in her charge:
* This department is jointly supervised with the House Parliamentarian
Each Department is led by a Director and Deputy.
Secretary Martin is proud of the successes she and her team have achieved. Here are just a few.
- Working with the Legislative Data Processing Committee, members of her legislative team, and caucus leadership and legislative staff, Secretary Martin initiated, developed and implemented a complete technological modernization of the legislative operations of the Senate.
- Secretary Martin also led the Senate in the continuity of the Senate's legislative operations in the face of a worldwide pandemic, resulting in the PA Senate making history as the first chamber in the nation to hold legislative session with remote participation of Members, ensuring they could fully and meaningfully participate in session (vote, debate, offer amendments, etc.).
- She also created and executed a comprehensive public relations strategy for the SecSen operation to promote civics education, which included branding campaign, website design and redesign, and social media launches for various offices under her charge.
- Secretary Martin created a comprehensive Training Program for her operation, culminating with Team Development Days where former PA Governor Tom Ridge offered the Keynote Address, praising her team for their faithful public service and dedication to their work at the Senate for the people of the Commonwealth.
Since being elected, the Secretary's mission has been, and continues to be, to modernize, professionalize and energize her operations. Here are just a few of those successes.
Renovations and Improvements
Leadership, Member and Team Development